Saturday, January 24, 2009

Toddler Brigade

I went out for a run this morning. Took my normal jogging route. Wore my normal jogging clothes. A day and a run like any other.

Or was it?

Innocently, I ran along Clinton Street, listening to a little Clipse, thinking my thoughts. The familiarity, the comfort. But then...

...as I rounded the corner of Dekalb...

...I was faced with...

...NO LESS THAN FIVE UNACCOMPANIED TODDLERS ON TRICYCLES, ADVANCING TOWARDS ME. Alarmed, I jumped back. They regarded me with steely eyes and peddled with slow determination. One had a puffy pink jacket; another had Batman rubber boots. It was clear who owned the sidewalk 'round those parts, and I jogged off the curb, giving the rogue trike-warriors their share of space.

It would have been terrifying if it was not the most adorable thing I've ever seen in my life.

Postscript for the worriers: there were some adults, presumably parents, watching from a nearby stoop. So we do not need to sound the alarm for Rogue Infant Tricyclists.

Postscript for the shrewdly alert: We do not need to sound the alarm for RITs...yet.

No comments: