Sunday, April 18, 2010

Books on Trains

I saw someone reading a book called The Witch Doctor's Wife on the subway today. It reminded me of the first time I heard about The Time Traveler's Wife. I have not read the book, so I won't trash it even though the title makes me desperately want to. Indeed, few titles have filled me with more immediate rage. You have a time traveler on your hands and you're going to deal with his boring old wife?! That's like making contact with extraterrestrials and worrying about whether you forgot to turn the oven off (you're a scientist, so you probably did, and anyway: ALIENS!).

Can we just agree to name our books after their most interesting characters from now on? Just call it The Time Traveler or The Witch Doctor, and if you want to be feminist, make said interesting characters female. That's why the working title of my novel is The Capricious She-Huntress of Arcturus: A Rocket Saga.

I also saw a very old man reading one of the Twilight books, which warmed my heart. I wonder whether he's an Edward or a Jacob man.


No comments: